The same rules apply for 2014
At the October 2012 meeting of the Folk Art Society of America's National Advisory Board (NAB), a proposal was adopted to initiate and fund a scholarship for students in folk art-related fields. NAB members Carol Crown and Wyatt Collins were appointed to work out the details of this proposal and to formulate a method and system of choosing the person(s) who would receive these scholarships.
THE FOLK ART SOCIETY OF AMERICA’S FOLK ART SCHOLARSHIP
To support the study and teaching of folk art at institutions of higher learning in the United States, the Folk Art Society of America has initiated an annual scholarship to be awarded to an undergraduate or graduate student majoring in fields such as American studies, art history, folklore, history, museum studies or related disciplines. Applicants should demonstrate an interest in teaching folk art at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Annual Cash Award: $1,000.00
The stipend is intended to enable the recipient to attend all events at FASA’s annual conference and symposium by helping to defray airfare and lodging expenses. In addition, the society will waive conference fees for the recipient.
- Applicant must be an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States;
- Must be majoring in American studies, art history, folklore, history, museum studies or other field related to the study of folk art;
- Must be an outstanding student with strong writing skills; and
- Must have at least 3.0 GPA on a scale of 4.
Nomination or self-nomination by March 1.
Submission of application due April 1, including:
- Letter of application detailing background and experience in traditional and/or contemporary folk art and level of interest in teaching folk art after graduation
- Letter of recommendation from two faculty members familiar with the student’s work
- University transcript
- Brief curriculum vitae
- Evidence of interest and quality of work in the discipline of folk art as demonstrated by a research paper or publication
- All materials should be sent to: